Page 296 - Gay San Francisco_Eyewitness Drummer
P. 296

276                                     Jack Fritscher, Ph.D.
               male mannequins that looked more like they belonged in an
               SF leather bar. John would sometimes call meetings of the bar
               staff for suggestions. However, he was very reluctant to follow
               through on any of them.
                   Either the two of them had no head for finance or they
               were working very close to the bone or both. I used to walk the
               previous night’s cash receipts complete with tapes, paid bills, etc.
               over to Drummer offices on, was it Natoma? — in a bank bag.
               John would either say — just put it down over there — or — just
               give it to Mario. In either case, I never saw anybody ever count
               it to verify what was what. It sure was not like I had been taught
               by the scrupulous Butterfield Theater Chain when I managed
               the Campus Theater.
                   You must remember that when I worked for John and Mario
               in 1980-1982, these were the days before banks had widespread
               computer use and instant deposit.
                   When payday rolled around Mario would take the cash and
               deposit it in a branch bank way out in the Avenues [out toward
               the ocean and far from South of Market] just before John would
               write  the paychecks. If you took your paycheck  to the  main
               branch downtown, the record of the deposit would not have
               been received and the account would be underfunded to cash
               the paychecks. If you waited a day or two and all paychecks were
               cashed, someone usually came up short. John would apologize
               and sometimes cash it himself, or tell you to go back to the bank
               again as Mario had just made another deposit. What a way to
               run a business. Well, Max Morales and I finally figured out what
               was happening. We’d try to predict Mario’s moves and would
               get on Max’s BMW motorcycle and go over to the branch bank
               in the Avenues to cash our checks. An added bonus of going to
               the bank in the Avenues — there was a great butcher shop just
               across the street from the bank — much better than anything I
               could get at the Dented Can grocery South of Market.
                   Let me know if I can help you with anything else with your
               book endeavor. Since I have seriously started writing, I realize
               how much work is really involved.
                    — Jim Stewart

               After the burning of the Barracks Baths on Folsom Street in July
            1981 which signaled the end of the Titanic 1970s in SoMa, Jim Stewart
            moved in 1982 to Chicago where he undertook doctoral studies at the

          ©Jack Fritscher, Ph.D., All Rights Reserved—posted 05-05-2017
   291   292   293   294   295   296   297   298   299   300   301